• To Log in or Sign Up for My Property Finder Click Here

RE/MAX Achievers Summit

Office

Bernards 

 

History

 

The Lenni-Lenape Indians, a branch of the Delawares (part of the Algonquin Nation) were the first known inhabitants of the Bernards Township area.  Scattered throughout are traces of these people:  arrowheads, tomahawks, hearthstones, hammerheads, and camp rubble, which indicate long occupation.  One of the most widely used Indian areas was near Madisonville Road --a major camp site was the present AT&T location on North Maple Avenue.  A burial ground is known to have existed on the east side of Childs Road on the hillside across from the Indian Graves Brook. 

The area was purchased by John Harrison, agent of King James III of England, from Chief Nowenoik of the Lenapes in 1717, a real estate package of 3,000 acres for $50.  The remainder of the Township?s land was bought later that year by William Penn.  Early settlers were Scotch, Irish, and English.  Harrison?s Purchase or Harrison?s Neck was the property?s designation.  In 1733 the name Basking Rodge first appeared in ecclesiastic records of the Presbyterian Church andis recorded as being derived from the fact that ?the wild animals of the adjacent lowlands were accustomed to bask in the warm sun of this beautiful ridge?.  Baskeridge and Baskenridge were commonly used. 

By 1740 a list of settlers included names as Alward, Annin, Conkling, Cross, Dayton, and Lewis.  At the time of the American Revolution, as many as 100 men from Bernards answered the call to arms.  Revolutionary troops came from Bound Brook through Annin?s Corner and Basking Ridge en route to Morristown.  During this time, a liberty pole was placed on the village green, with Annin?s Corner renamed Liberty Corner.  Basking Ridge was thought to be a secure place from the British Army as it was only seven miles away from the center of Washington?s army at Jockey Hollow.  General Charles lee, second in command, was captured by British forces at the Widow White?s Tavern in December, 1776. (This is at the corner of Colonial Drive and South Finley Avenue.)  A local street, Old Army Road, ws so named because it was the path trod through the country from Jockey Hollow to the Vealtown Tavern in Bernardsville by American troops. 

 

In 1750 a classical school, designed to prepare young men for college, was established in Basking Ridge by Dr. Samuel Kennedy, fourth pastor of the Presbyterian Church, and later run by Dr. Robert Finley.  The school, known as the Basking Ridge Classical School for almost 50 years, was conducted in the ministers? homes.  Through contributions and partly at Dr. Finley?s expense, the Brick Academy was built in 1809.  Pupils came from many other states, as well as New Jersey, presidents provided lodgings. The Academy was known as having contributed more men ?to the bench, the bar, and the pulpit.?  Students entered their junior year at the College of New Jersey (Princeton University). Among the Academy students were Samuel Southard, governor of New Jersey, U.S. Senate president and acting vice-resident under President Tyller; William Lewis Dayton, vice-presidential candidate with JohnC. Fremont in 1856, and President Lincoln?s Minister to France during the Civil War; Robert Field Stockton, hero of the Mexican War; Theoodore Frelinghuysen, president of Rutgers College and vice-presidential candidate with Henry Clay in 1844. 

 

Land Area:  25 square miles 

 

Population:  Approximately 25,800 

 

Bernardsville  

History: 

         

Settled by the Scotch, Irish and English, Bernardsville was originally a section of Bernards Township know as Vealtown.  In 1840, Vealtown became Bernardsville, named after Sir Francis Bernard, colonial governor of New Jersey from 1758 to 1760.  Nestled in the northern most part of Soberest County, just 12 miles south of Morristown New Jersey, this rustic community sits in some of the last vestiges of the Great Eastern Forest.

 

After the Civil War, many wealthy and prominent New Yorkers moved into the area, first as summer visitors, then as permanent residents.  The railroad line was built through Bernardsville in 1872 by one resident who felt he was ?too important to ride in a horse drawn carriage to Summit to catch the train?.  It has played an important role in the town?s development.

 

James Pitney is credited with being one of the earliest permanent settlers in the area.  Records show that by 1730, he owned and sold land, a tract of 123 acres beginning about a mile southwest of the present Bernardsville and stretching northwest.  This small community also dates its history to before the Revolution with a small building that now houses the Bernardsville Library.  This building was known as the Vealtown Tavern where colonists and Tories alike used to quench their thirst.  When George Washington?s army was camped in Jockey Hollow during the winter of 1777, they cut a road through the Somerset hills from Mendham to Vealtown so that they could reach the tavern and ?stave off the winter cold?.  The execution of a young militiaman near the tavern drove the daughter o the tavern owner to madness (she was in love with the young man).  There are some who say that Phyllis can still be seen in he Library on late evenings still looking for her lover.

 

Land Area:  12.85 square miles

 

Population:   Approximately 6,675 residents

 

Chatham Borough 

 

HISTORY:

 

In the late 1720?s Chatham?s earliest settlers, most of whom came from New England, built their dwellings along the banks of the Passaic River where the Lenape?s Minisink Trail had crossed. By, 1773 they had built some thirty plain wood houses, taverns, stores, and blacksmiths? shops, plus a gristmill and sawmill all clustered near the Passaic Bridge. The town?s most important concentration of early building is situated along the historic eastern end of Main Street. Though most of these structures were altered over the years, they still retain their eighteenth-century character. 

Not until 1773 did the settlement find the need for a distinctive name. Residents chose ?Chatham? in the honor of William Pitt, the outspoken Earl of Chatham who had opposed the unfair taxation levied on the Colonies. 

 

That early revolutionary spirit foreshowed Chatham?s active role in the War. Over half the community?s fifty-five men served in the military. Local households provided food and shelter to nearby troops. In Chatham, patriot editor Shepard Kollack published his newspaper, the New Jersey Journal, a leading voice in support of independence. Toward the end of the war, Washington made Chatham his temporary headquarters. In August 1781 he spent several nights here planning final military maneuvers that would culminate in the American victory at Yorktown. 

 

Chatham?s nineteenth-century fortunes were assured when the town?s main street became part of the Morris Turnpike in 1804. The arrival of the railroad followed in 1837. Brick making and coal freighting offered employment, but as those industries eventually faded villagers turned to other livelihoods. Some took up greenhouse rose growing; others kept resorts and boarding houses. 

 

Seceding from Chatham Township in 1892, Chatham Borough was incorporated in 1897. The town quickly engineered much-needed public improvements, and many ?resorters? decided to become permanent residents. They initiated the town?s twentieth-century role as a classic commuter-surban town by building grandly eclectic houses along upper Fairmount Avenue, one of Chatham?s most architecturally notable streets. 

 

Chatham has remained a small town with a pleasant environment. The architectural integrity of the Borough?s attractive residential neighborhoods has survived remarkably intact. The Main Street, with its diversity of historic buildings, imparts a special character the Borough that appeals to residents and visitor alike. 

Chatham Borough Historical Society 

CHARACTERISTICS:

 

Chatham Borough as a picturesque suburban community noted for its tree-lined streets, Colonial and Victorian architecture and neatly manicured lawns. The borough was a resting spot for George Washington. It has an active and poplar small town Main Street shopping area and is near the Mall at Short Hills in Millburn. Commuters to New York and areas in New Jersey delight in the Boroughs easy access to all major commute routes and the train. 

 

LAND AREA:  Approximately 2.3 miles 

 

POPULATION: 8,460 (2000) 

 

Chatham Township 

 

HISTORY:

 

While there were no Battles of the American Revolution fought on Chatham Township soil, troop movement within and across the boundaries was constant. Markers in Green Village show that George Washington returned to Morristown via that route from the great victory at Princeton.  

 

Where Treadwell Avenue ends at Woodland Road, the Loantaka Encampment of the Continental Army existed during the same period of similar camps at Jockey Hollow and other areas surrounding Morristown, the seat of Washington?s headquarter. 

 

History of Noe Pond 

 

Louis Mulford Noe was the nation?s largest producer of the American Beauty Rose, right in Chatham Township. He may have been the County?s largest employer at that time, in the late 1800?s and early 1900?s. 

 

Noe Pond, now the location of the Noe Swim Club, was the source for ice used by Mr. Noe at his Noe Farm. It was used for the dairy business and perhaps for his rose business as well.  It was an occasion when the ice cutting took place, to be stored in sawdust in the old Red Ice House. And as soon as that piece of necessary business was over, the children knew that for the rest of the winter the pond was theirs for skating. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS:

 

Chatham Township is a residential community of fine homes, townhouses developments and garden apartments that offers suburban attractiveness as well as efficient commuting to New York City and surrounding metropolitan New Jersey.    There are excellent shopping facilities at nearby retail malls in Livingston, Short Hills, Summit, Morristown and locally.  Cultural opportunities include historical, art, garden, and musical groups, as well as the facilities and programs of neighboring Drew and Fairleigh Dickinson Universities.  

 

POPULATION: 10,086 (2000)

 

East Hanover

SINGLE FAMILY REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES:

Before sale of any home in East Hanover Township can be completed, the law requires specific health and safety requirements must be met and confirmed by certification. Here?s what is needed:

1. Certificate of smoke detector compliance contact Fire Safety Official at: 973-887-6854.

2. Certificate of Occupancy is required.

HISTORY

East Hanover first grew as the gateway to Morris County, with the historic Cook House for stage stopovers between Newark and Morristown. It became what it is today because of where it is; easily commutable to New York City and access to all of New Jersey via Routes 80, 280, 287, 46 and 10.

This unique residential commercial community ranks among the county?s top municipalities for industrial, business, and commercial ratable. East Hanover Township is a highly developed complex of residential subdivisions, industrial parks, contemporary headquarter offices, warehousing facilities, cemeteries and retail strip malls which stretch along Route 10 as it bisects the community.

This array of competing elements is extremely well handled by local administrators of planning and zoning. Most industrial facilities are well placed and well screened from residential settings. Suburban residential areas are attractive, well designed and offer a varied price structure.

The community has much to offer not only to existing residents but also to anticipated new residential development. The municipality offers a fine public school system and its expanding municipal services keep pace with the needs of the residents.

Characteristics:

Hanover Township is a highly developed complex of residential subdivisions, industrial parks, contemporary headquarters, warehousing facilities and retail strip malls which stretch along Route 10 as it bisects the community.

Land Area: 8.1 square miles.

Population: 11,393 (2000 census).

Education: East Hanover Township Board of Education, 20 School Avenue, East Hanover. (973) 887-2112. Kindergarten cut-off is October 1st.

Public Schools:

Frank J. Smith School ? Grades K-2. Principal: Christopher Judge - 27 Green Drive, East Hanover (973) 887-5650.

Central School ? Grades 3-5. Principal: Larry Mendelowitz
400 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover (973) 887-0358.

East Hanover Middle School ? Grades 6-8. Principal: Robert Allen - 477 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover (973) 887-8810

Hanover Park Regional Board of Education - 75 Mt. Pleasant Avenue, East Hanover (973) 887-0340

Hanover Park High School ? Grades 9-12. Principal: John Kirchben - 75 Mt. Pleasant Avenue, East Hanover (973) 887-0300

*regional high school serves East Hanover and Florham Park

Parochial Schools

Saint Rose of Lima Academy ? Grades K-8
316 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover

Library

East Hanover Library
415 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover (973) 428-3075

Social & Civic Organizations

Boy Scouts ? Patrols Path Council BSA Troop 20
Route 10 East, Denville, NJ 07834

Cub Scouts ? Patrols Path Council Pack 20
Route 10 East, Denville, NJ 07934

Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce - Jim Maguire
(973) 515-0700

East Hanover First Aid Squad- John Comprelli
(973) 887-4027

East Hanover Historical Society ? Jeanette Wiegard
190 Windsor Place, Madison, NJ 07940

East Hanover Rotary Club ? Richard Ferrera
(973) 515-0873

East Hanover Volunteer Fire Department
(973) 887-0432
- First Call for Help ? 1 (800) HELP-555

Jewish Historical Society ? (973) 884-4800 x 565

The MOMS Club of East Hanover - e-mail ? momsclubeh@yahoo.com

Garden Club ? Cassandra Kupper ? (973) 515-0889

Mount Pleasant Animal Shelter ? (973) 386-0590

Welcome Wagon ? Sigrid Novak ( 973) 763-1551

njserves.org

SENIOR CITIZENS GROUPS

East Hanover Senior Citizens Club ? (973) 428-3060

Transportation: Marie Farrington (973) 428-3029

RECREATION

Recreation: East Hanover Recreation Department ? Linda Lurz
(973) 428-3095

East Hanover Pool ? (973) 428-3091

Joseph Lurker Memorial Park

Sommer Park

Morristown Historical Park

East Hanover Soccer Club ? (973) 428-3095

East Hanover Baseball Association ? (973) 599-1845

The Playhouse of East Hanover ? (973) 597-0063
ehplayhse@aol.com

Houses of Worship

The First Presbyterian Church of Hanover
14 Hanover Rd, East Hanover ? (973) 887-0298

Kitchell Memorial Presbyterian Church
469 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover ? (973) 887-6939

St Rose of Lima Church
312 Ridgedale Avenue, East Hanover ? (973) 887-5572

Trinity Fellowship Assembly of God
1 Kane Rd., East Hanover ? (973) 386-9300

Post Office

315 Ridgedale Avenue
East Hanover, NJ 07936
(973) 886-0065

Commuting

Bus: to NY from Parsippany

Rail: available in Madison and Chatham

Road: major roads and highways include Route 10, I-80, Route 24

Harding

HISTORY:   Incorporated May 9, 1922 

In 1727 one John Lindsley acquired a 1250 acre tract of land which marked the center geographically and politically of the area that was to become Harding Township two centuries later.  Harding Township was one of the last municipalities formed in Morris County separating from Passaic Township in 1922, but its lands where some of the first to be settled.  The 18th century inhabitants were English or New England born and their houses reflected those building traditions.  During the Revolutionary War, Washington?s troops encamped at Jockey Hollow during the bitter winter of 1779-80.  By the end of the 19th century, the unspoiled rural area became the site of numerous magnificent estates.  Harding was named by its republican founder for the then President, Warren G. Harding.  Development was kept to a minimum for the next 50 years.  Numerous historical buildings are still evident in the gentle, rolling hills of this picturesque community.  The township is also noted for its bridle paths and horse farms.  On the west and south, Harding includes most of the acreage found in the Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge.  Also located within the township?s limits are portions of two Morris County Parks, a year round lake community and a lake for resident skating in winter. 

CHARACTERISTICS:

Harding Township is a picturesque community with gentle rolling hills and numerous estates.  It is about 30% undeveloped and is approximately 25 miles west of Manhatten. 

LAND AREA: 20.5 square miles 

POPULATION: 3,640 approx.

Livingston

HISTORY: 

       

Early in the 18th century, only the most adventurous pioneers crossed the Watchung Mountains to settle in the area known as Canoe Brook.  The area was named for the stream found behind today?s Town Hall.  The Lenni Lenape Indians once assembled their canoes along the banks of the brook.

 

In 1702 the settlers of Newark paid 130 English pounds to purchase the land that comprises today?s Livingston, Caldwell, and West Essex.

 

Livingston was formed seven Hamlets.  The hamlet of Northfield is marked by the present-day Northfield Center, and the Hamlet of Squiretown can be identified by the school on Old Road, Formerly known as Squiretown School.  Teedtown is the present-day Livingston Center, and Morehousetown is now the site of the Route 10 traffic circle.  Cheapside was located near South Orange Avenue and Passaic Avenues, and Centerville was the present-day Roseland.

These seven Hamlets were incorporated as the Township of Livingston in 1813, named for William Livingston, the first Governor of New Jersey. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS:

 

From the industrial times as a manufacturing center for brooms and hats, Livingston has evolved into a well-balanced residential community.  Abundant office space and large commercial areas including the Livingston Mall. 

 

LAND AREA:  13.75 square miles 

 

POPULATION: 30,000+

 

Long Hill Township

 

HISTORY:   March 23, 1866

 

Before the township was established in 1866, this southern portion of Morris Township was a sparsely settled agricultural area.  In the 18th Century, a series of mills along the Passaic River gave the Village of Millington its name.  Long Hill road began as an Indian trail along the ridge of the prominent hill.  In the 18th and early 19th Centuries, it was a stagecoach route ? east/west across the township.  Modest development began after 1871 when the West Line Railroad, a spur of the Erie-Lackawanna, was opened from Summit to Bernardsville.  Stirling was created at this time as a company town ? The Stirling Silk Manufacturing company in 1896.  Small frame cottages were constructed for workers, many of whom were immigrants from Southern Europe.  Long Hill Township still retains plenty of open space.  The environmental concerns for the Passaic watershed and the Great Swamp have preserved some of the open space and settings for surviving historic homes. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS

 

Long Hill Township is an expanding residential area which maintains much of its rural charm.  About 50% of its area remains undeveloped and a haven for wildlife. 

  

LAND AREA:  12.1 square miles 

 

POPULATION:  8,777 approximately 

 

Madison Borough

 

HISTORY:

First settled in the early 18th century and called Bottle Hill, the town was named Madison in 1834 to honor the  4th president of the United States. With the coming of the railroad in 1837, local businesses, especially the rose industry were able to ship products to markets in  New Jersey and New York. Known as the ?Rose City?, Madison became famous for the roses it produced from the 1860?s until the mid 1950?s when homes began replacing greenhouses. The Morris and Essex Railroad, one of the country?s first commuter railroads attracted well-to-do families in the early part of the 20th century. These benefactors contributed to Madison?s architecture, culture and open spaces by donating land for parks, the first public library, the YMCA and the Hartley Dodge Memorial Building which serves as Madison?s Borough Hall. 

CHARACTERISTICS:  

 

Madison?s broad tree lined streets still reflect the colonial characteristics of its early development. It is an affluent residential community that has become a haven for executives and business people who take advantage of the excellent train services to New York City.

  

LAND AREA: 4.19 square miles 

 

POPULATION: 16,000 

 

Maplewood

 

HISTORY:

 

Going back to origins of the 17th century

 

CHARACTERISTICS: 

 

Close in suburban, socially and economically diverse 

 

LAND AREA: 3.85 square miles 

 

POPULATION: 20,518 

Millburn

HISTORY:

Millburn is Scottish means ?mill on a stream". Native Indians and early settlers called the area surrounding the tiny New Jersey colonial settlement "the Short hills." Thus the township received its name.

Long before the first Dutch immigrants arrived in the 1600s, the Lenape Indians lived and hunted here. By 1700 the English had arrived and contributed the names of Parkkhurst, Parsil, Denman, Briant, Reeve, Wade, Baldwin, Ross, Meeker and Morehouse to the landscape. By 1764 the community numbered more than 60 landowners.

Until 1857 the settlement had no individual identity but was part of the City of Springfield. During the Revolutionary War the British and Colonial forces marched back and forth across the local settlement, climaxing the confrontations with the famous Battle of Springfield, which halted the British army?s advance into Northern New Jersey.

After the war ended Samuel Campbell arrived here from Scotland and built the first paper mill. More industrialists followed and soon mills were manufacturing felt hats as well as paper.

When the township was created through an act of the New Jersey legislature in 1857 the name Millburn was chosen by its residents in honor of Mr. Campbell?s contribution to the community.

By then the railroad already was a vital part of the community life. The Morris and Essex, a predecessor of the Delaware. Lackawanna and Western and N.J. Transit, came through in 1837. Not only did train service brighten the future of the community as a commercial center, but it also added to its desirability as a residential suburb for prosperous Newarkers and New Yorkers.

Shortly after 1870 Stewart Hartshorn, inventor of the roller window shade, decided to make his home here and to enter the real estate business and establish an ideal community. He purchased and developed much of the "short hills" area and adopted the Indians? name for his community.

About the same time the Wyoming Land Development Co. purchased large tracts of land in Northeastern Millburn and laid out a grid of streets. The development company ,however, built only 25 houses before it went bankrupt.

By the time the town celebrated its semi-centennial in 1907 it boasted fire and police departments, running water, electricity, telephones and a sewer system.

As population of the township grew, more large private land areas and farms were purchased by developers. The Whittingham family estate was transformed into South Mountain Estates and the Campbell acreage became Glenwood.

After World War II the township?s population experienced a second surge, not only in residents, but in businesses, Supermarkets, insurance companies, some small industries and the Mall at Short Hills became integral parts of the community.

LAND AREA 10 Square miles

POPULATION 18,630

TOWNSHIP OF MORRIS

 

HISTORY:

 

Morris Township is a residential community and one of the most affluent areas in Morris County. It is an area with long roots in the past. During the winters of 1777 and a779-80, George Washington?s Continental Army camped in the deep snows of Jockey Hollow, now part of the National Parks system.  Today, the Township offers its residents a pleasing mix of home sites which range from new sub-divisions to spacious older homes on tree lined streets to picturesque dwellings built in colonial times. In addition, there are attractive condominium complexes.

 

CHARACTERISTICS

 

Morris Township is located approximately 25 miles west of New York City.

 

LAND AREA:

 

Morris Township has an area of 15.3 square miles.

 

POPULATION

 

The population of the Township is approximately 21,791. 

 

TOWNSHIP OF MORRISTOWN

 

HISTORY:

 

Morristown is Morris County?s  most famous municipality.  Its history is part of the rich heritage of our country.  The town and the region are known for their important role in the American revolution.  During the winter of 1779080 and on several other occasions, General Washington headquartered at the beautiful Ford Mansion, now a National Historic Park and Museum.  Revolutionary soldiers spent the long winter of 1779080 camped at nearby Jockey Hollow.

Morristown has undergone extensive renewal and expansion in recent years.  In the downtown area, Headquarters Plaza offers a health club, shopping mall and office buildings: a bridge between old and new. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS:

 

Morristown is located approximately 25 miles west of New York City. 

 

LAND AREA:

 

Morristown is 2.94 square miles

 

POPULATION:  

 

The population is approximately 17,500

 

Mountain Lakes


Town Profile:


Mountain Lakes in Morris County

Post Office
13 Elm Road
Mountain Lakes, N.J. 07046


LINK TO OFFICIAL MUNICIPAL WEBSITE:

www.mtnlakes.org

Single Family Resale Requirements For Residential Properties
:

Certificate of Continued Occupancy: is required
Certificates and fees: smoke and carbon $25 fee to Borough of Mountain Lakes,
Call 973-334-8219 Mon. ? Fri. between 2pm ? 5pm to schedule inspection. Inspections are done Mon., Wed., Fri. Re: ?lead time?: Please arrange inspection
1 ? 2 weeks prior to closing.

C/O requirements for 2-4 family homes: not applicable

Sign regulations for: For sale signs: up to 4 sq. ft., must be on property.
Open house signs: as per ?realtor agreement?, open house sign can go up but MUST BE REMOVED as soon as open house is over.

Cell phone regulations. As of 10/07/03, none.

Trash disposal, sewer, and water are municipal services. Garbage is picked up at
the house, not from curb. Must be bagged and in trash can. Bags to be purchased from Borough Office.

Fencing regulations and permits: Permit is required and zoning approval is needed. Fence must conform to the structure.

Parking Information: Parking permits issued through clerk?s office at Borough Hall, 400 Boulevard, Mountain Lakes, N.J. Railroad Station permit = $5/year for residents, $50/year for non-residents. Romaine Road Parking = $5 for owners or employees of businesses located in the Borough. Permit is to be affixed to the rear window on the driver?s side of motor vehicle. Permits expire every year on April 30 and must be renewed each year.

?Horse? regulations: Livestock requirements ? if you board or keep livestock, zoning regulations must be met.

History:

 

In 1910 , Mountain Lakes was rural woodland owned by a few families. Within 10 years, it had changed from a wilderness of Dutch and English properties to a planned urban community of large stucco houses known as ?Lakers?. The natural and architectural character of Mountain Lakes was developed.

 

Today Mountain Lakes prospers, preserving its original design and character, where other planned communities have lost their identities to intrusive development. It has followed the vision of developer Herbert J. Hapgood who set out to build comfortable homes for the residents who came from New York to escape the city heat. Today, 454 of the original homes still remaining may be the largest collection of Craftsman-influenced houses in the United States.

 

Characteristics:

 

Located in north-central New Jersey where the rolling hills of the New Jersey?s Piedmont region meet the rocky outcroppings of the Highlands. Approx. 35 miles west of New York City, 9 miles north of Morristown, the county seat. Just northwest of the intersection of Routes I-287, I-80 and north of Route 46.

 

Land Area: (3.1 square miles approx.)

 

Population: (approx. 4,256 as per 2000 U.S. Census)

 

Links to schools:
Public = www.mtnlakes.org
Private = none
There are 4 public schools and several private and pre-schools.

Links to library -  
www.mtnlakes.org/library
9 Elm Road
Mountain Lakes, N.J. 07046
973-334-5095

There are several small lakes and the Borough has an annual cleaning program to remove any decaying material. Sailboats and canoes must be registered at the Police Dept. Beach tags are required and may be obtained at Borough Hall (973-334-3131). There are two separate, contiguous parks known as the ?Tourne?. Tourne County Park is operated by Morris County and Wilcox Park is operated by the Borough of Mountain Lakes. There are trails that bikes and hikers can use jointly. Tennis tags are required to use the tennis courts and can be obtained at Borough Hall (973-334-3131).

OTHER INFORMATION


The Borough of Mountain Lakes is served by an all VOLUNTEER FIRE Dept. For info or to volunteer, call 973-334-1094. For all emergencies, call 911.

Voter registration can be done at the Morris County Clerk?s office in Morristown or by mail.

Sources:

 

Borough Hall, 400 Boulevard in Mountain Lakes, N.J. 07046
www.mtnlakes.org

 

Mountainside

HISTORY:

In the days before Mountainside became a borough with its own government it was part of the Township of Elizabethtown, which was organized in1693, covered a wide area, and included the West Fields. The Locust Grove, Branch Mills, and Baltrusol sections of the West Fields, rural communities composed mostly of farmers, later became Mountainside.

The Dutch preceded the English in some areas of New Jersey, but the majority of settlers here were English.The Borough of Mountainside celebrated it?s Centennial in 1995 in recognition of it?s separation from the Town of Westfield on October 22,1895CHARACTERISTICS:

CHARACTERISTICS:

Mountainside Borough is an attractive, residential community featuring an abundance of trees and hilly terrain that bear witness to its name. Single-Family homes dominate the housing scene, most of which are beautiful, well-kept older homes on expansive lots.

The downtown retail center is small and augmented by several major malls within a 10 minute drive. The residents of Mountainside enjoy good highway access to amenities in surrounding urban centers. Nearby recreational attractions enhance the allure to the pleasant community.

LAND AREA: Covering 4.1 square miles.

POPULATION: 6,500

New Providence 

HISTORY: 

The Passaic Valley was the first settled around 1783 by settlers from Long Island and the United Kingdom.  According to local tradition, the name of the region was changed from ?Turkey? to ?New Providence? in 1778 when the balcony of a small church collapsed without causing serious injury.  In 1809, New Providence Township was established, then incorporated as the Borough of New Providence in 1899.  1950-1970 saw radical changes in the town?s character as suburbanization consumed the open countryside, spurred by the growth of the New York metropolitan area and the establishment of suburban corporate headquarters in the Passaic Valley. 

CHARACTERISTICS: 

With the luxury of two train stations, the borough of New Providence, is the quintessential bedroom community.  This community of large residences in colonial and Tudor styles, small ? lot subdivisions and apartment complexes surrounds a downtown which offers a variety of shopping, services and restaurants.  Several malls are within ten minutes if this serene community. 

LAND AREA:  (3.7 square miles approximately) 

POPULATION:  11,439 (1990 Census figures) 

Parsippany/Troy Hills

 

SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES

 

Smoke Detector Inspection required: 263-7166

Certificate of Occupancy: is required

Carbon Monoxide: not required

Open Permits: Checked by Building Construction Dept. 263-4366 no charge 

 

HISTORY

In the past Parsippany was once the home of the Lenni-Lenapi Indians and was known as Parsippanong, the place where rivers come together.  In the early eighteenth century, when settlement here began with Dutch and English immigrants, Parsippany was part of Hanover Township, one of three townships comprising all of Morris County.

The original settlers in this area started farms and iron forges, which played an important role in the Revolutionary war, providing supplies to the troops.  This area continued to grow after the war with additional farms, dairies and grist mills, however remaining basically agricultural until it became a popular summer vacation area for people from the cities. 

In 1869, the Methodist Camp Meeting Assoc. established the Mount Tabor campground, with 16x25 foot tent sites.  This was followed, starting in the 1920?s, by Rainbow Lakes, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Intervale and Lake Parsippany, built by the New York Daily Mirror Newspaper and they sold 20x100 foot lots for $98.50 with a six month subscription to the paper.  Spurred by population growth the following World War I, Parsippany separated from Hanover Twp. and was incorporated in 1928 as the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills. 

 

Following World War II, many of the existing farms, which were becoming less profitable, began to be sold off to developers.  This brought increased residential growth throughout the 40?s and 50?s, with the bulk of growth occurring in the 60?s as nearby cities experienced housing shortages and road systems were improved.  In the late 70?s and 80?s with the growth of the interstates and growing demand for office space, Parsippany, with it?s central location, became an attractive place for quality business campuses, starting with Prudential, now Mack-Cali and Lanidex and continuing with Waterview and Morris Corporate Center. 

Our new logo, the place to be, Parsippany?for family?for business?for fun, says a great deal about our town.  With out many diverse and charming neighborhoods, high-quality business campuses, excellent school and library systems and an extraordinary park system, Parsippany is truly a microcosm of the best our country has to offer. 

The intense pride of our residents is exemplified by the hundreds of volunteers who provide emergency services, support our schools and libraries, run many of our recreation programs, help plan our future, preserve our past and protect our environment. 

 

Parsippany-Troy Hills covers 25 square miles of land and houses a population of approximately 50,000 people.  Among its diverse attributes is the extensive transportation network.  Parsippany is a model community with some of the finest municipal services possible.  We have our own water system, assuring a constant and adequate supply of clean water.  Our tertiary waste-treatment plant provides for environmentally safe disposal of sewage.  We have one of the most friendly and effective recycling programs in the area and are one of only 17 communities in the country to be awarded the Tree City USA honor for the past 20 years.  Our outstanding police department is one of three nationally accredited forces in New Jersey.  But what makes Parsippany special is the commitment we have to improving our quality of life.  Our free bus service makes it possible for those without personal transportation to get medical services, shop, browse in one of the three branches of our fine library system or just visit friends. 

 

A beautiful community center gives our senior citizens a place to socialize and to participate in programs planned especially for them.  The Community Theater provides first-rate musicals, comedies and dramas in fun, intimate environment and at very affordable prices. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS: 

 

There are so many other fun things to do in Parsippany.  Our 17 award-winning parks, with 25 ball fields provide plenty of opportunity for active recreation or for just enjoying the great outdoors.  We own two wonderful golf courses, one of which is rated among the best in the state. 

 

LAND AREA: 

 

Parsippany is a suburban Morris County community of approximately 30 square miles, located in Northeastern New Jersey, 28 miles west of New York City. 

POPULATION:

Our population is estimated at 50,000 making us over twice as large, population wise, as any town in Morris County and we rank 11th in the County as far as population density. 

EDUCATION: 

 

Parsippany-Troy Hills Township School District

577 Vail Road, Box 52
Parsippany, NJ  07054
  
973-263-7200 

 

Parsippany High School ? grades 9-12
309 Baldwin Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-263-7001 

 

Parsippany Hills High School ? grades 9-12
20 Rita Drive, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-682-2815 

 

Central Middle School ? grades 6-8
Route 46 West, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-263-7125 

 

Brooklawn Middle School ? grades 6-8
250 Beachwood Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-428-7551 

 

Intervale Elementary School ? grades K-5
60 Pitt Road, Boonton, NJ  07005
973-263-7075 

 

Eastlake Elementary School ? grades K-5
40 Elba Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-428-7583

 

Knollwood Elementary School ? grades K-5
Knoll Road & Glenwood Avenue, Lake Hiawatha, NJ  07034
973-263-7060

 

Lake Parsippany Elementary School ? grades K-5
Kingston Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-428-7572

 

Northvail Elementary School ? grades K-5
10 Eileen Court, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-263-7070

 

Littleton Elementary School ? grades K-5
Brooklawn Drive, Morris Plains, NJ
973-682-2847

 

Rockaway Meadow Elementary School ? grades K-6
160 Edwards Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-263-7308

 

Troy Hills Elementary School ? grades K-5
509 S. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054
973-428-7588

 

Adult and Community Education
1 Lincoln Avenue, Lake Hiawatha, NJ  07034
973-263-4390 

 

Mt. Tabor Elementary School
Park Road and Route 53, PO Box 509, Mt. Tabor, NJ  07878
973-889-3361

 

St. Christopher?s ? pre K ? 8
1050 Littleton Road 973-539-7053 

 

St. Peter?s ? pre K ? 8
189 Baldwin Road 973-334-4707 

Parsippany Baptist & Christian School
Preschool ? 12
1179 Littleton Road
973-539-7012 

LIBRARY:

 

292 Parsippany Road And Nokomis Avenue and Hiawatha Boulevard
973-263-4300 

 

SOCIAL & CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS 

 

Recreation Office -973-263-7257
Knoll Country Club -973-263-7111
Museum (Baldwin) -973-263-4397
Social Services - 973-263-7163
Parks & Forestry - 973-263-7254 

 

SENIOR CITIZEN GROUPS: 

       

Office on Aging - 973-263-7351
Division on Health  973-263-7160
Social Services - 973-263-7163
Family & Neighborhood Counselor - 973-263-7149 

 

RECREATION:  

The recreation department provides recreational activities for residents starting at the age of three.  These activities continue through the senior years as the department provides assistance to the Office on Aging.  Approximately 70 programs are offered by the department each year.  These programs include athletics, special events, group activities, and social interaction.  The Township has joined other Morris County communities to provide extra and special programming.  One example of this is the Morris County Adaptive Recreation Program sponsored by a consortium of towns to provide recreational opportunities for residents with special needs.  We also compete in numerous athletic leagues that give the participants an increased level of competition to help prepare for high school and college competition. 

Parsippany now has 18 parks throughout the town.  This park system has preserved 698 acres ranging from .32 acre Lake Hiawatha Park to the 338 acre Knoll Park.  This total surpasses the nationally recognized standard of having one acre of parkland for every 100 residents.  In addition to the park land the Parks Department has also been active in developing the use of school property for recreational activities.  The goal is to provide recreation within walking distance every resident. 

Smith Field Park

The most active park in the system is Smith Field Park located on Route 46 in the center of the township.  This park has the largest variety of activities in the system.

Volunteers Park

Volunteers Park is located in the Lake Hiawatha section of Parsippany and is a very popular park.  It is heavily used by exercise walkers because of its long walking paths.

Lake Parsippany Park

 

Lake Parsippany Park, located off of Elmwood Road, is home to a combination softball, basketball, soccer field, adjacent to the park is the Little League West baseball complex.

 

Manor Park

 

Manor Park is located on Bell Road off Parsippany Blvd.  It contains a softball field, two basketball courts, a children?s play area, and a walking path.

 

Hills of Troy Park

 

Hills of Troy Park has a softball field, two basketball courts, two children?s play areas and a walking path.  It is located on Homer Street in the Hills of Troy development that is between Littleton Road and Route 46 at Cherry Hill Road.

 

Forest Drive Park

 

Forest Drive Park is located on Forest Drive.  This small half acre park has a small children?s play area designed for the residents of that area.

 

Park Road Field

 

Park Road Field contains a baseball used by Little League West and a children?s play area.  It is located on Park Place.

 

Powdermill Park

 

Powdermill Park is located on Waterloo Drive.  It consists of a children?s play area, a basketball court and a tennis court.  This park serves our residents in the northwesterly portion of the township.

 

Rainbow Lakes Park

 

The Rainbow Lakes neighborhood is the home of the Rainbow Lakes Park.  This park has a softball field, two children?s play areas, a basketball goal, and a small gazebo.  The Smith Tract, a 29.2 acre undeveloped park is also located in the Rainbow Lakes community.

 

Normandy Park

 

Trouville Drive is the location of Normandy Park.  This park is composed of a children?s play area, a basketball court, a tennis court, and an open grass play area.

 

Druid Hill Park

 

Druid Hill Park is located between Elf Court and Twin Oaks Road and has a connection to Maplewood Drive.  It is accessible from 3 different residential areas.

 

Crestview Drive Park

 

Crestview Drive Park is located between Crestview Drive and Wingate Road.  It connects 2 different residential areas, has a large small children?s play area and a volleyball court.

 

Lake Hiawatha Park

 

Lake Hiawatha Park has a large small children?s play area with a small gazebo located on Lake Shore Drive.  Similarly, the Lake Parsippany Tot Lot on Glassboro Road in Lake Parsippany provides a play area for our younger residents.

 

Knoll Park and Country Club

 

The Knoll Park and Country Club is the largest park in Parsippany.  This 338 acre park contains two 18 hole golf courses and approximately 70 acres of other park facilities.  The park facilities includes 2 picnic areas with shelters that can be rented, children?s play areas, volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, bocci courts, and walking trails.  The park also contains the first play area in a public park in New Jersey to be designed for handicapped children.  The Parks, Forestry, and Recreation office as well as the Knoll Gold Utility offices, and the Parsippany Community Center are located in the park.

 

Old Troy Park

 

Morris County Park Commission also operates a park within Parsippany?s borders.  Old Troy Park offers a variety of both active and passive recreation to the county residents.

 

Troy Meadows

 

Another area of open space is Troy Meadows.  Troy Meadows is privately owned by a nature conservation group and is mainly wetlands.  However, these wetlands are alive with a large number of wild animals of many species.  Deer, hawks, and many other wild birds can be seen as you travel Route 80 in the area of Troy Meadows.

Mountain Way Park

Mountain Way Park is located on the highest point of Mountain Way and has a connecting paved walk path to the residential homes on the east side which is 900 ft. long and is used by exercise walkers.  The park consists of 2 large small children?s play areas, swings and spring toys, a gazebo and parking for 16 cars.

Craftsman Farms

The second largest park in Parsippany is Craftsman Farms.  This 27 acre historical site was the home of the Gustav Stickley and is on the New Jersey State Register of Historic Places and has been nominated for national recognition.  The park is open for tours of the Stickley House which is being restored and includes examples of the famous Stickley furniture. 

HOUSES OF WORSHIP:

 

Adath Shalom Synagogue, 841 Mountain Way, Morris Plains, NJ  07950, 973-539-4440

Ahavat Torah of Parsippany Orthodox Congregation, 113 Hawkins Ave., Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-335-3636

Bethel Assembly of God, Lake Hiawatha Area, 973-515-4455

Chinese Christian Church of New Jersey, 232 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-335-0183

Community Life Chapel, 649 Vail Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-335-3585 or 973-515-0400 

First Baptist Community Church c/o Mission Hispania - 800 Vail Road, Parsippany, NJ 07054, 973-334-6002 or 973-889-1295, O.J.RDZ@juno.com 

Parsippany Baptist Church, 1179 Littleton Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-539-7011 

Parsippany Christian Church, 205 Vail Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-335-7176 

Parsippany Presbyterian Church, 1675 Route 46, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-334-7958 

Shri Sanatana Mandir Hindu Temple, 16 Jean Terrace, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-316-9148 

St. Andrews Lutheran Church, 335 Reynolds Avenue, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-6713 

St. Christopher?s Roman Catholic Church, 1050 Littleton Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-539-7050

St. Gregory?s Episcopal Church, 480 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-5879 

Temple Beth Ann (Reform), 879 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-0046 

Evangelical Fellowship Chapel, 419 E. Halsey Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-386-0056 

Parsippany Christian Church, 205 Vail Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-335-7176 

St. Gregory?s Episcopal Church, 480 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-5879  

Jam E-Masjiid Islamic Center, 110 Harrison Street, Boonton NJ, 973-334-9334 

Hindu Swaminarayan Temple & Cultural Center, 140 Lincoln Avenue, Lake Hiawatha, NJ  07034, 973-334-7211 

United Methodist Church of Parsippany, 903 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-4657 

United Methodist Church of Mt. Tabor, 5 Simpson Avenue, Mt. Tabor, NJ  07878, 973-627-4243

Christian Meeting Room, 1386 Tabor Road, Mt. Tabor, NJ  07054, 973-983-0424 

Ascension Lutheran Fellowship, 126 Northfield Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-2217 

St. Ann?s Roman Catholic Church, 781 Smith Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-884-1986 

St. Peter The Apostle Roman Catholic Church, 1330 Route 46, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-334-2090 

Gospel Presbyterian Church - 903 So. Beverwyck Road, Parsippany, NJ  07054, 973-887-7123 

 

POST OFFICE

 

Parsippany (07054) 3299 Route 46 East 973-335-2300
Mount Tabor (07878) 26 Simpson Ave. 973-627-9523
Lake Hiawatha (07034) No. Beverwyck Rd. 973-334-0511

  

COMMUTING

 

Bus:    Lakeland Bus Lines 973-366-0600

Rail:    Towaco Station to Hoboken, Denville Station Mid Town Direct

Road:  The Township maintains access to Route I-80, I-287, US 46 and US 202 as well as State Highways 10 and 53.

           Parsippany-Troy Hills is located merely 25 miles from Newark International Airport and is only 28 miles west of

           New York.

 

Randolph

 

SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES TO INCLUDE

 

Smoke detector  $30.00 call Ray Stromberg for appointment at 973-989-7100.

Certificate of Occupancy is required.

 

HISTORY:

 

Randolph Township was incorporated in 1805.  The first settlers were Quakers who arrived in 1748.  There is a Museum of Old Randolph located at Brundage Park on Carrell Road.  There is also a Historical Society of Old Randolph. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS: Randolph is a residential community located in central Morris County.

 

LAND AREA: 21.2 square miles 

 

POPULATION: 23,000 

 

EDUCATION

 

Public schools 

 

Cedar Grove School K-5 - Schoolhouse Road 361-7835

Fernbrook School K-5 - Quaker Church Ave. 361-0660

Ironia School - Dover Chester Road 584-8588

Shongum School - W. Hanover Avenue 895-2322

Middle School 6-8 - Millbrook Avenue 366-8700

Randolph High School - Millbrook Ave 361-2400 

Private Schools

Hebrew Academy of Morris County - Dover Chester Rd. 584-5530 

 

LIBRARY:

 

28 Calais Road 895-3556 - Hours: M-Thurs. 9:00-9:00 Fri and Sat. 9:00 ? 5:00 Sunday 12:00-4:00 (excluding July and August)

 

SOCIAL AND CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS:

 

Kiwanis, Rotary, Randolph Lions, VFW, Women?s Clubs, Neighborhood Watch Groups 

 

SENIOR CITIZENS GROUPS:

 

Senior Center Calais Road, 2nd Tuesday of month meeting Senior services: Dial a ride to  medical appointments, local shopping centers and Morris Nutritional Site (seniors 60+ and disabled 18+)

Senior services: Dial a ride 

 

RECREATION:

 

200 programs offered from toddlers to Senior Olympics.  There are parks, numerous playing fields, town lake, tennis courts, Community Theater at Brundage Park. 

 

HOUSE OF WORSHIP:

 

Grace Community Church, Mt. Freedom Presbyterian Church, St. Andrew Greek Orthodox, Sisterhood of Mt. Freedom Jewish Center, Mt. Fern Methodist Church, Resurrection Parish, R.C. St. Matthew the Apostle, R.C. 

 

POST OFFICE:

 

Randolph 07869

Mt. Freedom - Sussex Turnpike 07970

Ironia - Dover Chester Road 07845 

 

COMMUTING:

 

Bus ? Lakeland

Rail ? N.J. Transit

Rockaway

SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES TO INCLUDE

 

Smoke detector $20.00 call 983-2872 for appointment

Certificate of Occupancy is required.

 

HISTORY:

 

Rockaway Township was incorporated in 1844.  There is a Historical Society of Rockaway Township. 

 

CHARACTERISTICS:

 

Located in the valley of the Rockaway River in the highlands of Morris County.  Specific sections of the township to include:  Birchwood, Greenpond, Hibernia, Marcella, Mt. Hope, White Meadow, and Germania Park. 

 

LAND AREA: 42 square miles 

 

POPULATION: 20,000 

 

EDUCATION

 

Public schools 

 

Birchwood School K-5 - Art St. Dover K-5 361-7080

Dennis B. O?Brien K-5 - Mineral Springs Dr. Dover 361-7330

Katherine D. Malone K-5 - Green Pond Road Marcella 627-7512

Stonybrook Road Rockaway 627-2411

Copeland Middle School 6-8 - Lake Shore Dr. Rockaway 627-2465

Morris Hills High School 9-12 - W. Main St. Rockaway borough 989-2800

Morris Hills High School 9-12 - 27 Knoll Drive Rockaway Township 989-2750

 

LIBRARIES:

 

61 Mt. Hope Road (main) 627-2344

419 Green Pond Rd. Hibernia (Branch) 627-6872 

 

SOCIAL AND CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS:

 

American Legion, Elks, Lions, Junior Womens Club 

 

SENIOR CITIZENS GROUPS:

 

Mt. Hope Road Rockaway Township 989-2839

 

Senior services: Dial a ride 

 

RECREATION:

 

Vast number of recreational facilities; parks, skiing, swimming at White Meadow, Lake Telemark. 

 

HOUSE OF WORSHIP:

 

ST. Bernards Parish Hall R.C., First Presbyterian Church, White Meadow Temple, Rockaway United Methodist, Holy Trinity Litheran 

 

POST OFFICE:

 

Bank Street Rockaway (07866)

Zip Codes: 07866, 07801, 07842, 07005 

 

COMMUTING:

 

Bus ? Lakeland

Rail ? N.J. Transit

Road ? Access to Route 46, Route 513, Route 80

Road ? Route 10 the only state road that falls within Randolph borders

Union Township

SINGLE FAMILY RESALE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES:

Before the sale of any home in Union Township can be completed, the law requires that specific health and safety requirements must be met and confirmed by certification. Here is what is needed:

Certificate of Occupancy is required.

1.Two Family Residence requires a Certificate of Continued Occupancy. The seller must obtain a form from the Construction Code Office, 908-851-8509, and a fee of $50 must be paid.

In addition a form must be obtained from the Fire Licensing Office, 908-851-5434, at the Fire Dept. This form must be filled out and notarized certifying that proper smoke detectors are in place. The Fire Dept. does not require a fee.

2.Single Family Residence requires that the seller obtain a form from the Fire Licensing Office, 908-851-5434, at the Fire Dept. This form must be filled out and notarized certifying that proper smoke detectors are in place. No fee is required.

HISTORY:

The first settlers came to Union in 1667. Before that, the town was inhabited by the Unami clan of Lenape Indians. In 1666-67 a group of Connecticut farmers who rebelled against the strictness of Puritanism in Connecticut bought the land from the Indians at 12-15 cents a square mile. They settled in what was a part of Elizabethtown, and named it Connecticut Farms. During the Revolutionary War two British invasions were fought by Connecticut Farms soldiers.

On November 23, 1808, the Township of Union was formed with the N.J. State legislature and other neighboring towns petitioned to form Union County, and separated from Essex County. In 1901, 775 acres were taken from Union To become Roselle Park. Six Years later 1330 acres were taken to establish Kenilworth. Elizabeth took 410 acres in 1908, and the largest area, 1750 acres, became Hillside Township in 1913. These communities along with Springfield, Millburn, Maplewood and Irvington are Union?s bordering towns.

During the period of 1900-1929, Union changed from a farm area to an industrialized community. Much building followed the Depression years. Many small factories were Established between 1929-1941. There is small growth potential. Multiple dwellings (over two families) have been banned by ordinance since 1958. Small houses have been built on undersized lots, whenever possible, as there are few remaining large pieces of land.

One of the big strengths of Union is its location. It is minutes from Newark Int?l Airport, The Garden State Parkway, Route 22, and Route 78 all have entrances and exits in Union. In 1976, at the annual competition of the National Municipal League of Williamsburg, Virginia, the Township of Union was one of nine cities in the nation to be awarded the Title "All American City" for the year 1976-77.

CHARACTERISTICS:

Union Township is a suburban community. The town is approximately 18 miles southwest of New York City.

LAND AREA: 9 square miles in eastern Union County

POPULATION: 54,405 (approximately)

EDUCATION:

Township of Union Board of Education, 2369 Morris Avenue, Union
908-851-6400

Public Schools

Battle Hill Elementary School- Grade K-4

2600 Killian Place, Union, 908-851-6480, principal: Ronald Meyer

Connecticut Farms Elementary School- Grade K-4
875 Stuyvesant Avenue, Union, 908-851-6470, principal: Edward Kliszus

Franklin School- Grade K-4
1500 Lindy Terrace, Union, 908-851-6450, principal: Thomas Tsirikos

Hannah Caldwell School- Grade K-4
1120 Commerce Avenue, Union, 908-206-6101, principal: Vernell Wright

Livingston Elementary School- Grade K-4
900 Midland Blvd, 908-851-6440, Union, 908-851-6440, principal: Mary Jane Bergen

Washington Elementary School- Grade K-4
301 Washington Avenue, Union, 908-851-6460, principal: Robert Jeranek

Central Five-Jefferson School- Grade 5
155 Hilton Avenue, Vauxhall, 908-851-6560, principal: Martin Poltrock

Burnett Middle School- Grade 6-8
1000 Caldwell Avenue, Union, 908-851-6490, principal: Gary Malles

Kawameeh Middle School- Grade 6-8
500 David Terrace, Union, 908-851-6570, principal: Harold Bell

Union High School- Grade 9-12
2400 North Third Street, Union, 908-851-6500, principal: Samuel Fortunato

Parochial Schools

Holy Spirit - Morris Avenue & Suburban Road, Union, 908-687-8415

Saint Michaels - 1212 Kelly Street, Union, 908-688-1063

Colleges and Universities

Kean University - 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, 908-527-2000

LIBRARY

Main Library, Friberger Park, Union, 908-851-5450

Branch Library, Russell & Hilton Streets, Vauxhall, 908-851-5451

SOCIAL & CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS:

Adult School Jean Danilow 908-851-8543

Bottle Hill Village Civic Warren L. Anderson

Bertuempfel PK Civic James Bowser 908-810-8784

Boy Scouts America Donald Watt,1170 Rt. 22w, PO Box 1386, Union, NJ 07083

Boys and Girls Club of Union Robert Poles 908-686-7976

Brookside Heights Civic Organization Ronald Booker 908-964-0393

Catholic Daughters #1360 Dorothy Deo 908-688-2862

Columbia Italian American Carmen Morano 908-964-0093

Conn. Farms Post #35 American Legion Stanley Paukstis 908-953-5713

Connecticut Farms Civic Assn, Dan Ryan 908-688-4841

Democratic Municipal Comm. Joseph Cryan 908-687-6042

Disabled American Vets Chapter 50 Comm. George Omdish 908-687-6681

Durhart Gardens Donald Treloar 908-688-0565

DBA Local 40 Robert Brower 732-701-1314

Fairway Drive Civic Association Michael Cavallo 908-686-7540

Five Points Civic Assn. Donald Treloar 908-964-0467

Galloping Hill Civic Association Thomas Murray 908-6877153

Green Lane Civic Association Bernice Kessler 908-353-4573

Hamilton Civic Association Murray Rudnick 908-687-4230

Indian Culture Society of NJ Inc. Jagish Patel 908-686-2684

Irish-American Society Michael Scanlon 908-964-7122

James T. Schaefer Gardens James T. Schaefer 908-964-9343

Jewish War Veterans Post 34 Comm. Nathan Rubin 973-731-4799

Jewish Women Int?l, Batim-Union Elaine Ratner 908-687-4549

Kiwanis Club of Union Dan Steele 908-658-1552

Knights of Columbus #4504 Larry Killmer 908-686-4810

Larchmont Estates Civic Assoc. Stephen Helmstetter 908-658-0539

League of Women Voters of Union Bernadette Prinz 908-686-0857

Loyalty Lodge No. 33 F&AM Worshipful Master, 1912, Morris Ave., Union

Michael A. Kelly Ladies Auxiliary Dolores Linfante 908-964-5807

Michael A. Kelly Post #2433 Leo Graf 908-686-7899

Model Railroad Club William Jambor 908-964-9724

National Council of Negro Women Susan Vaughn 908-687-2714

Neighborhood Civic Coalition Warren Henderson, 155 Hickory Rd, Union

North End Civic Michael Machalaba 908-688-0680

Optimist Club Michael Ternan 908-688-7096

Orchard Park Civic Assoc. Robert J. Christie 908-688-1627

Parkside Manor Civic Assoc. Elviria Morillo 908-964-5183

PBA Local #69 Dale Baird, 981 Caldwell Ave, Union

Polish Heritage and Cultural Center Ted Olsztyn 908-964-9599

Portuguese American Civic Assoc. Alfredo Rendeiro 908-851-2557

Putnam Manor Civic Assoc. Robert Schiffl 908-686-3729

Putnam Ridge Civic Assoc. Paul M Fernandez 908-687-6697

Regular Republican Club Kenneth Schreihofer 908-687-3713

Sayrebrook Civic Assoc. Martha Boho 908-687-4478

Schaefer Gardens and Nora Gardens James Schaefer 908-688-6467

Sharon Chapter #249 O.E.S. Alma Schreiber 908-763-2907

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Festival John Agriantonis 908-964-7957

The Youth Felicitares Anita Hall 231 Prospect St, S Orange 07079

Twp Union Comm. Action Org Roosevelt Williams 908-687-4870

Union Coalition Neighborhood Civic Warren Henderson 908-687-3069

Union Council 8 Cathy Reiss, 981 Caldwell Ave, Union

Union Elks Club #1583 BPOE Charles Dreizin 908-851-2580

Union Exchange Club Bert Lane 908-688-3930

Union Hospital Guild Assoc. Virginia Wade 908-638-4153

Union Lions Club Arno Scheidi 732-886-1138

Union Rams Mark Artalo 908-636-8773

Union Rotary Club Frank J Lawrence 908-687-1780

Union Stuyvesant Village Tenant Assoc. Sam Idlett 908-636-8871

Union Township Democratic Club Robert Faszewski 908-964-0404

Union Township Garden Club Alaine Angelbeck 908-686-3318

Union Unico Richard Galante 908-687-2110

Vauxhall Civic Assoc. Joseph Cannon 908-688-1691

Veterans Alliance Liaison Charles Capaccio 908-688-1691

Woman?s Club Conn. Farms Adele Pabish 908-636-3649

SENIOR CITIZEN GROUPS:

Seniors Citizens of Union Township Phyllis Monguso 908-581-5290

Senior Citizens of Union County Louise Moore 908-688-5643

Union Township Active Retirees Frank Brown 908-696-5979

RECREATION

Recreation Department Dominick Fargnoli/ Patrick Scanlon 908-686-4200

Union Township has 165 acres of parks with 23 playgrounds, 14 tennis courts, 10 softball fields, 2 picnic grounds, 2 roller hockey facilities, 19 tot lots, 2 Bocce Ball courts and many summer concerts.

Recreation Center, 1120 Commerce Avenue, Union

Union Rockets Athletic Club Ed Blazak 908-687-6361

VFW Teener Baseball League Inc. Jack Steiner 908-688-4200

YM-YWCA of Union County, Green Lane, Union

YMCA Five Points Branch Kim Decker 908-688-9622

HOUSES OF WORSHIP:

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, 241 Hilton Ave., Vauxhall 908-964-1282

Cornerstone Apostolic Church, 398 Chestnut St, Union 908-912-0522

Calvary Assembly of God, 953 W Chestnut St, Union 908-964-1133

Ukranian Evangelical Assemblies of God, 2208 Stanley Ter., Union 908-686-8171

Aenon Baptist Church, 1500 Brown Ave4, Union 908-687-3716

Clinton Hill Baptist Church, 2815 Morris Ave, Union 908-687-9440

Evangelical Baptist Church, 1391 Liberty Ave, Union 908-964-9575

First Baptist Church Of Union, Colonial Ave & Thoreau Terrace, Union 908-688-4975

First Baptist Church, 5 Hilton Ave, Vauxhall 908-687-3414

St Josephs Rectory, 1601 Andrew, Union 908-688-4929

Hallelujah Christian Church, 941 Caldwell Ave, Union 908-686-3595

Vauxhall Church of Christ Millburn Mall Suite 6, 2933 Vauxhall Rd, Union 908-964-6356

First Congregational Church UCC, 1340 Burnet Ave, Union 908-688-4333

St Luke & All Saints Episcopal Church, 398 Chestnut St, Union 908-688-7253

Macedonian Christian Church,186 Burkley Pl, Vauxhall 908-687-2820

Congregation Beth Shalom, 2035 Vauxhall Rd, Union 908-686-6773

Temple Israel of Union, 2372 Morris Ave, Union 908-687-2120

Grace Lutheran Church, 2222 Vauxhall Rd, Union 908-686-3965

Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, Morris Ave & Sterling Rd, Union 908-686-0188

Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 301 Tucker Ave, Union 908-688-0714

United Methodist Church, Berwyn & Overlook Ter, Union 908-687-8077

Battle Hill Comm. Moravian Church, 777 Liberty Ave, Union 908-686-5262

St Demetrios Greek Orthodox, 721 Rahway Ave, Union 908-964-7957

Full Gospel Galilee Assembly of God Church, 953 Chestnut St, Union 908-964-8840

Holy Ghost Tabernacle Church of God in Christ, 129 Carnegie Pl, Vauxhall 908-964-7215

Townley Presbyterian Church, Salem Rd & Huguenot Ave., Union 908-686-1028

Board of Pensions Presbyterian Church, Salem Rd, Union 908-964-958

Connecticut Farms Church, 888 Stuyvesant Ave, Union 908-688-3164

Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Church, 971 Suburban Rd, Union 908-687-3327

St Michaels Church, 1212 Kelly St, Union 908-810-9377

Alliance Church of Union, 1264 Victor Ave, Union 908-687-0364

Union Chapel Church, 1424 Gustav Ave, Union 908-687-3507

POST OFFICE

Main Post Office, 1130 West Chestnut Street 07083

Chestnut Station, 611 Chestnut Ave 07083

Townley Station, 1020 Salem Rd 07083

Union Center Station, 1965 Morris Ave 07083

COMMUTING:

Bus: Direct to Port Authority New York City from Union Center

Rail: Union Rail Station will be complete early 2002, which will bring the Raritan Valley

Line to Union. It is located at Morris Avenue & Green Lane (across from Kean Univ.)

Road: Major highways include the Garden State Parkway, Route 22, and 78 which all have

Warren

HISTORY: WARREN TWP.

Stretches from the crest of the first Watchung Mountain across Washington Valley to the second mountain and beyond, ending at the Dead and Passaic Rivers. Thousands of ears before the Europeans came the Lenape Indians roamed these parts but left little history. In l806 Warren Twp. Was created from portions of Bernards and Bridgewater. It was named after Major General Joseph Warren a hero of the Battle of Bunker Hill. The principal industries were logging, fruit and grain raising and dairy farming. Warren was a crossroads for travelers between Pennsylvania and East Jersey.

CHARACTERISTICS:

WARREN TOWNSHIP is now a suburban community of single family homes on one acre lots or more, close to major highways for excellent commuting. The township of Warren is in the South East section of Somerset County.

LAND AREA: 19.3 (square miles approximately)

POPULATION: 12,700 (approximately)

Watchung

HISTORY:

Watchung, which means "High Place", is believed to have been given to the area by the Lenape Indians. Legend has it that Indians traveled through the area every spring on the same trail for their summer trip to the ocean to fish. The Dutch settled in Watchung, which is between the two ridges of the rocky Watchung Mountains. The settlers came to this region because of the rich soil. They continued to farm the land and it became a well known agricultural area. During the l800?s the Watchung area drew many wealthy families from the New York City area. As this happened many mansions began to spring up on the ridges of the mountains. Today it continues to be home to the comfortable because of the proximity to the city.

CHARACTERISTICS:

Watchung Borough is a serene beautiful residential community. It has scenic landscape plus views of the city from many of the ridges. The borough of Watchung is in the eastern Somerset County and borders on Union County.

LAND AREA: 6.2 (square miles approximately)

POPULATION: 5,110 (approximately)